Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Studio

Lynne Perrella throws the best parties, many of them within the pages of her books. The latest addition to the growing Perella section in my resource library is Art Making & Studio Spaces, fresh off the press and finding its way to booksellers everywhere. This work is a celebration of the workplaces of 31 different artists, including the author's space and OMG, my studio is in there, too!

The book features luscious, full page color photos of spaces where artists work, accompanied by commentary on how and why it works for that particular artist. You can't help but pick up a lot of great ideas for arranging your own space, no matter what size it might be. One thing is certain; no matter what medium you explore in art, it is going to take stuff to make it. And everyone in this book has lots of stuff. You'll see something that you'll love. At the moment, I am coveting R. O. Blechman's ladder in his library (page 118), and find myself sketching ideas for a faux version for my own bookshelves.

I was thrilled to be invited to participate in this project. Lynne puts together a wonderful package with everything she does, so I knew it would be a first rate publication. I'm also quite passionate about my work space. When we moved here four years ago, we chose this house because it had the best studio space potential. This is studio number 5 for me over the past 15 years, so I've had lots of time to work out the arrangements in a variety of environments. It took about four months just to unpack and put away all the boxes, but the truth is, something here continues to change every few months .... furniture arrangements, additions and subtractions, supply storage, task lighting, seating. My studio is a living, breathing entity all on its own. And, I have to tell you how much fun it is for me when someone visits here for the first time; well worth the effort just to see the response.

All publications have limits, and there simply isn't room in the book to show all the nooks and crannies that are mentioned in the commentary. One of my summer workshop students, Andrew Borloz, did an excellent photo piece on my studio for his blog during the 2008 sessions; you can visit it here if you'd like to see more. If you'd like to see my studio in person, consider coming for one of the 2010 workshops. Information about dates and curriculum will be posted here by the end of the month.

3 comments:

  1. I remember when Andrew did that - in fact I printed out all the pictures and put them in my journal in order - so I could look and drool whenever I wanted! Your space is fantastic. I've been lucky enough to take two of your classes at Art Fest and am hoping at some future date to have the $ and the vacation hours at the same time to indulge in one of your week long book making marathons. I was able to spend some time with Lynne over the past year, and it was a kick to get a verbal preview of the up-coming book. My copy is wrapped and waiting to go under the tree and I can't wait!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered this book and can't wait for it to arrive. Studio spaces and artist's collections always get me inspired. And I remember seeing your space on &rew's blog. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read Erin's & Seth's comment, and I had to laugh! Congratulations, Pam, for being one of the featured artists in Lynne's book, and I'm glad to see that many of your visitors do enjoy my photo tour of your impeccably clean and neat studio! Happy New Bookbinding Year!

    ReplyDelete